The Complete Yacht Security Handbook
- FREE Delivery to UK - Spend over £50 for EU
- Express Delivery Available
For skippers and crew
Part Number: SAS0027
Scale / Size: No
ISBN / MPN: 9781472951670
Publisher: Adlard Coles Nautical
Whether moored at their home marina, or visiting a less familiar port in a distant country, yachtsmen need to pay just as much attention to the security of their yacht as they would their home or car. By being aware of potential dangers and taking some prudent steps in advance, yachtsmen can ensure that voyages to even the more adventurous of destinations will be less stressful.
The aim of this book is not to scare yachtsmen but to equip them with the knowledge and confidence to minimise risk. With practical advice and real-life stories to illustrate security solutions, it guides skippers and crew through the whole process, from planning the journey, setting up the boat and equipment, to preparing and dealing with actual threats.
- Achieving a security balance: how to assess risks and counter them, and knowing whether it's better to avoid a risk or prepare more thoroughly
- Preparing the boat and equipment: boat layout, communication, distress signals, alarm systems, access barriers, training, and the pros and cons of weapons
- Hands-on security: safe marina layouts, deterring thieves, what to do if boarded
- Background to attacks on yachts: the difference between inexperienced criminals, pirates and terrorists, understanding their intentions, tactics and appropriate methods to defend yourself
- Risk classification for all global cruising grounds
- Security checklists for various types of voyage
With many full colour photos, illustrations and tables, this book is an indispensable handbook for yachtsmen to have at their side when planning a voyage. It may not be possible to eradicate the risks completely, but this book will help yachtsmen assess them realistically and prepare to counter them confidently.